Origami Workshop

On 3rd of August it would exactly one year since starting my new post in Learning and Research Technologies (LRT) team. Time does fly and most of my months have been busy learning new technologies and working towards implementing podcasting resources across the wider needs of MMU and its staff.

LRT seem to have given me new lease of life giving me an opportunity to promote my hidden talent and hobby – Origami.

Special Collections somehow found out about my passion for Origami and asked if I would hold a beginners origami workshop. Never would I have imagined that I would delivery an origami workshop. The response from MMU staff to attend my origami workshop had been phenomenal that special collections asked me to hold couple more sessions.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I ask myself, ‘is this the first ever origami classes held at MMU?’

My origami session alas has come to an end. I had great feedback and clearly staff wants more sessions organised. Who knows what the future will hold, and like we say..Watch this space!.

I have created podcast of all the different folds we created and I will make them available as soon as I can. Many origami models had been made , Nightingale, Grasshopper, Dove, Penguin, Pelican, Duel cup cone, Swan, Crane, Flapping bird and on the very final workshop for the selected few we also made a tulip and a bunny.

Here are the folds as created and demonstrated by one of my many star pupils (hope AL will not mind me using his fabulous photo)

Thanks to JH for setting the workshop up and providing coloured paper too. JH has sat in to all the workshop and I’m hoping that origami folds have been learnt. Last session I saw you struggling with making a ‘water bomb base ‘ . I always look forward to JH colourful layout of the workshop, as you can see.

Please feel free to comment on this blog.

I’m no way near to holding a ‘origami master’ title but here is a business card produced by my LRT colleague in amusment (I take this as a compliment).

6 thoughts on “Origami Workshop”

1. By all means use my photo 🙂

BTW, I printed off your business card but it was so big I had to fold it several times – all valley folds mind. Interesting though, the more I folded it to make it smaller, the more it in-creased…

2. come on Andrew, how long will I have to put up with your origami carry-ons 🙂
    Thanks for pic.
    Did you by any chance had a look at the origami podcasts?