Been looking at Microsoft’s Log parser program to parse the IIS log files associated with our Sharepoint portal. Its an excellent tool very easy to use. Below is an example where I wanted the ID and date users have logged into the portal, but I was not concerned with multiple log-ins per day
the command is logparser -o:CSV i:IISW3C “SELECT DISTINCT cs-username,date INTO Finename.csv FROM wildcard.log WHERE cs-username<>NULL”
the -o:CSV means the outpit file format is CSV
-i:IISW3 is theoinput file in extended IIS format
date of course is the date and cs-username is the id of the person logging in
and you can use wildcards for the names of the log files you want to parse so for example e*.log will parse all the file that start with e and have the suffix log
Rachel McAlpine the Quality Enhancement Officer from Centre for Academic Standards and Quality Enhancement (CASQE) asked if we could put a link on the front page of my.mmu.ac.uk to the National Student Survey. To avoid the Twitter page being sent down the page we added a Content web part on the same level as the Twitter web part. To jazz up the link we used a graphic from the NSS site
John Burgess of Recruitment & Admissions asked if we could do a staff only RSS feed of the Association of University Administrators news page. Happily we could agree and turned it round within the hour
Katie Kilburn of the Careers and Employability Service approached the LRT team concerned that email sent to the All Student mailing list were not being seen as the All Student RSS feed only displays the last 5 items. In conversion with Katie she mentioned a site that has all the information they would like the students to see. Marketing and Communications provided a RSS feed to the site and we were able to provide a RRS feed on MyMMU messages page
The MBS students reported having problems accessing their web CT units in the MYMMU portal and the course administrator asked if the LRT team could help.
The course administrator give me two IDs as examples of students who were having problems. I checked both IDs in QLS and in webct and both IDs were enrolled and had the right units both in QLS and webct. But as the course started in March 2009 the webct units are in fact mapped as 2008/9 units not 2009/10. This mapping suggested the problem was the units were being hidden as last year’s units in webct and the portal
In conjunction with the course administrator one of the MBA students give permission for me to change his password and log in to the system as him. Logging in as the student the units were indeed hidden as last years unit but clicking on the Previous Years unit link they were displayed.
In conjunction with the course administrator a short help email was written informing students that clicking the Previous Years Link will make their units visible. The course administrator emailed the students concerned and all the students were able to access their units.